Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Headline

        In Chapter four of Carroll's book, he continues on the previous discussion of the importance of aesthetics when producing websites. Specifically what he touches on in this chapter are the small details of the websites, such as headlines, and just about every aspect of text in general that there possibly ever could be (font, size, color, bold/underline/etc). That lead me to do some research of my own, and I began comparing news sites that I often visited to see what was not only aesthetically pleasing to me but also one's that are more easily navigate-able.

         Normally, I receive my news from the news stations that I am subscribed to on Facebook such as Huffington Post, Shanghaiist (for news in China only), BuzzFeed (does that count?) and New York Times etc, but for the sake of this chapter I went to each of the news stations actual website.


The first one I visited was Huffington Post...and I was shocked to see that their Breaking News articles were all sort of clumped together in a blob..




If I had actually gone to their website as a resource for my daily news, I definitely would not return!


Next, I went to Cnn.com, which I found to organized, easy to follow, with a lot of information but not in an overwhelming sort of way. I also like that the featured news articles can be found at the very top in a straight line in a bar, easy to navigate and also easy to read:





In Chapter 7, Carroll's distinct decipherment of the differences between blogging and journalism - basically, blogging is seen as "postmodern form of expression and pursuit," while journalism seeks to be as objective as possible. It seems to me, that even while writing this, blogging allows me the option of being biased and also provides me a platform for my personal thoughts and opinions on several matters. Having been a writer for the Paladin newspaper here on campus, because I was merely a reporter on events such as concerts and musicals, there really was no room for opinions, and it really wouldn't even be relevant.


No comments:

Post a Comment