Saturday, September 7, 2013

"Delete"

Chapter 2:      


         This week's reading made me appreciate the art of tying all the more, especially when it comes to blogging. Having grown up in I suppose, the beginning of the "digital age," I have never once thought about the simple button, "delete," that was created by a genius and put together what we now call the computer keyboard. In the last five minutes of typing this paragraph, I have already used that button about an infinite number of times. After reading this chapter, this following sentence really made me think twice about what content I should choose to put in this space; "Words should not be cast out indiscriminately, Plato argues, they should be like seeds planted carefully in a mind that is read for them, and they should be nurtured through conversation, in dialogue." - Plato. Thinking back to before the world of blogging, mass media, and rather just anything digital - I think of blogging in a more negative point of view than I used to. When there was just ink and pen, one must've had to think rather carefully before putting that onto paper. Of course, that example is much like today, I have to think extremely carefully before I jot down my answers on a test for the essay portion. However, when there the typewriter machine was invented, one small mistake could potentially make one lose so much time to have to retype everything. At least with paper, we have correction tape and things like that. 

Chapter 3:
          For the most part, I found myself actually disagreeing with what the author had to say about social networking. He seems to think that there are connections between people when they follow each others blogs. While I do agree that it is highly possible a lot of people who blog follow their friends blog, but I'm more inclined to believe that people who follow other blogs are probably following a total stranger who happens to have similar interests in them, such as fashion or sports or whatever. For most people, I feel like if they are using blogs especially to find the latest trends in fashion or electronics or whatever, they most likely aren't going to be looking at their friends blogs - rather, probably more developed blogs from maybe even older people that have more experience than they do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment